The thyroid gland is a small organ that can have significant effects on your overall health. The American Thyroid Association estimates that 12 percent of Americans will develop some type of thyroid related condition over their lifetimes, ranging from relatively minor to requiring advanced treatment. Are you curious about whether you might have a thyroid problem? Read on to find out, and if you are concerned that you may have developed a condition, call Russak Personalized Medicine in Greenwood Village, CO, to arrange an appointment with Dr. Floyd Russak, your primary care doctor.
What Is the Thyroid and What Does It Do?
The thyroid is a small butterfly-shaped gland located in the neck that helps regulate the performance of cells in your body. It is the gland that controls your metabolism and energy levels. It produces hormones that affect your various bodily functions including the heart, brain, digestive system, muscles, and bone strength. In women, it can have an effect on the menstrual cycle.
Signs of a Thyroid Problem
There are three common issues related to the thyroid: hypothyroidism (not enough hormone production), hyperthyroidism (too much hormone production; related to Graves’ disease), and thyroid cancer. Here are some signs you should seek treatment from a primary care doctor at our Greenwood Village office:
- Feeling tired and fatigued all of the time
- Memory issues.
- Depression and irritability.
- Muscle weakness.
- Unexplained weight gain (hypothyroidism) or loss (hyperthyroidism).
- Bulging eyes and other eye or vision problems.
- Lump in the neck and trouble swallowing or talking.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Some people have a normal thyroid level, but still have several of the above symptoms, you may have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome caused by Thyroid Resistance. Dr. Russak has trained under Jacob Teitelbaum, MD at Harvard and is expert at diagnosing and treating this problem, where thyroid blood tests are normal but thyroid receptors on your cells are not responding adequately to your thyroid.
Thyroid Treatments Available
Once diagnosed through an exam, blood test, and/or biopsy, thyroid problems are often very treatable. These are some of the treatment options you’ll discuss with your doctor:
- Natural medication to help regulate and normalize the thyroid gland.
- Surgical removal of tumors on the thyroid and radioactive iodine therapy.
- Health, diet, and habit adjustments to promote healthy thyroid function.
Regain Healthy Thyroid Function
Set a time to visit Dr. Russak, your primary care doctor in Greenwood Village, by calling (303) 221-6797 today.
Did you know there was a month entirely dedicated to raising awareness for issues impacting the health and wellness of men and boys? The month also coincides with Men’s Health Week (June10-16), a special awareness period created by Congress, and the #ShowUsYourBluecampaign on June 14 where men and women are encouraged to wear blue to work that day to show their support for the health and well-being of boys and men. See our easy list of things to do to be active, aware, all month long.
1. June is Men’s Health Month–spread the word and make sure every loved male in your life is living well
2. Early screenings! They will not only save money in the long run but also save your life and/or make life easier to manage if diseases are caught early on. All men over 35 should have an Annual Wellness with a cholesterol and CIMT plaque ultrasound test.
3. Exercise, its summertime! Why do you think most TV shows and football are off? So, men can finally go out and move around. (Note: there is no true correlation between summer broadcast schedule and reason to exercise) You shouldn’t need a reason to get at least 30 minutes of exercising in, just help your heart and just do it like Nike says.
4. Father’s Day is coming up! Why not give your father figure in your life the gift of knowledge along with your gift. There are many resources at www.menshealthnetwork.net that help educate you and your father about risks of prostate cancer and other diseases that may be prevalent to you.
5. Keep reading this blog and others like it for the latest on how to improve and support men’s health. (Hopefully starting with this June, we will have regular pieces for you)
6. Remember that anyone can assist in the men’s health movement, and help is not limited by gender. Anyone can be supportive and help men make that first step towards a better life.
Get your blood sugar levels under control to prevent further health problems.
Finding out that you have diabetes can be a bit overwhelming, but our Greenwood Village, CO, primary care physician Dr. Floyd Russak and his team are here to make sure that you understand ways to get your blood sugar levels under control to lead a healthy happy life and to prevent complications. Here are some simple ways to manage your diabetes,
Maintain Healthy Blood Sugar Levels
This is the most obvious way to manage your diabetes and this can be challenging on your own, which is why you should turn to a doctor in Greenwood Village, CO, whom you trust to provide you with the most effective care. While there are certain lifestyle modifications that can improve your blood sugar, our doctor can also talk to you about certain medications that you can take to keep your blood sugar levels in check.
Eating a Healthy, Balanced Diet
Your diet is the most important thing when it comes to leading a healthy life—especially if you have diabetes. It’s crucial that you understand what foods can affect your glucose levels and to avoid foods that could lead to glucose spikes. Here’s what you should know,
- Learn about portion control and what carbs are unsafe and safe
- Meals should include a mix of vegetables, proteins, starches, fruits and fats
- Coordinate your meals with your medication
- Avoid sugary foods and drinks (if you have high blood sugar levels)
Get Regular Exercise
Along with a balanced diet, it’s also important that you participate in regular physical activity, which can help your body efficiently use glucose for energy to lower high blood sugar. Talk to your doctor about the best exercise plan to follow, especially if you are beginning a new workout routine. Start slowly with 30 minutes a day and then gradually build up your workout. Also, make sure that you are drinking plenty of water throughout the day.
Take Medication, if Necessary
If your diabetes is caught early on when you are still in the prediabetic stage then simple lifestyle modifications and leading a healthier life may be all that’s needed to maintain healthy blood sugar levels; however, sometimes medication will be necessary to effectively lower your glucose when lifestyle changes alone aren’t enough. Here’s what you should know about diabetes medications,
- Not all medications work the same for every patient. It may take some trial and error to find the right medication for you. Patience is key.
- Talk to us about any problems you may experience with your blood sugar levels when beginning a new medication.
- Make sure that you are following the medication’s instructions and that you are storing the medication properly (extreme temperatures can affect insulin).
Dealing with symptoms of diabetes? Want to talk about the best diabetes medication for you? Then call RPM Family Health in Greenwood Village, CO today to schedule a consultation to talk to Dr. Floyd Russak and his partners.
Illnesses and injuries that aren't typically considered life-threatening, such as strep throat, flu, ear infections, and minor cuts and burns, are our specialty at RPM Family Health & Walk-In Care in Greenwood Village, Colorado. Dr. Floyd Russak's medical team are here to provide you with high-quality care to make sure you're feeling better faster. Learn more about the benefits of walk-in care.
No delay in diagnosis
If you have a sore throat, fever, or other ailments that are causing you concern, your primary doctor's office may not have an appointment available for another day or more. Walk-in clinics, however, don't require an appointment, meaning you can be treated and start feeling better sooner. You also won't experience long wait times as you might if you went to an emergency room, where ailments are typically treated in terms of urgency. You'll be given the same high standard of medical care at your Greenwood Village walk-in clinic without the wait!
Visiting an emergency room for a non-critical illness or injury won't just take up a lot of your time. You could also be charged thousands of dollars for something that could easily be treated at your Greenwood Village walk-in clinic. If you're unsure about the nature of your ailment, give us a call and we'd be happy to help you determine if walk-in care is right for you.
Addressing your needs
At RPM Family Health & Walk-In Care in Greenwood Village, we offer more than just diagnostic appointments, all with your convenience in mind. From physicals for work, school or sports, to vaccinations, we're here to make your life easier. We also offer confidential testing for pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases and drug screening.
If you've never experienced walk-in care before, please consider RPM Family Health & Walk-In the next time you are dealing with a minor injury or illness. We look forward to helping you!
Find out when to turn to our Greenwood Village urgent care center for medical attention.
We know that a lot of people put off seeing the doctor; however, there are certain injuries or conditions that warrant seeing a medical professional right away. When this happens it’s comforting to know that our compassionate medical team and primary care physician Dr. Floyd Russak at our walk-in clinic in Greenwood Village, CO, can provide you with the comprehensive care you or a loved one needs right away.
What problems can you treat?
First it’s important to understand whether your health issues can be addressed at our walk-in care center in Greenwood, CO. A good rule of thumb to follow is if your condition isn’t life threatening or critical then you can turn to us for care. Some of the health problems we treat include:
- Cold and flu
- Respiratory infections (e.g. bronchitis)
- Asthma and allergies
- Ear infections
- Sinus infections
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Minor injuries (e.g. burns)
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Urinary tract infections
Along with providing thorough walk-in care for your injuries and health problems, we also offer confidential STD testing, pregnancy and drug testing, work and school physical exams, and workers compensation evaluations.
Patients who are planning to travel soon may require certain vaccinations prior to their trip. We can provide you with all the vaccines you need to keep you safe and healthy while traveling abroad. Furthermore, when flu season amps up you’ll want a doctor in Greenwood Village, CO, who can provide you with the proper vaccines you need to stay healthy all year long.
Why choose walk-in care?
Going to the ER is expensive, and in many cases people don’t really need to go to their nearest emergency room in order to get proper medical attention. Coming into an urgent care center instead of an ER will not just provide you with immediate treatment and care but also you’ll save yourself money and time. Plus, when a medical emergency rears its ugly head it’s comforting to know that you can come into our clinic anytime without an appointment.
RPM Family Health and Walk-In in Greenwood Village, CO, is dedicated to providing thorough medical care when you need it most. If you or a family member is sick and requires fast medical attention, then it’s time to come into our office.
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.