Posts for category: Chronic Disease
Get your blood sugar levels under control to prevent further health problems.
Finding out that you have diabetes can be a bit overwhelming, but our Greenwood Village, CO, primary care physician Dr. Floyd Russak and his team are here to make sure that you understand ways to get your blood sugar levels under control to lead a healthy happy life and to prevent complications. Here are some simple ways to manage your diabetes,
Maintain Healthy Blood Sugar Levels
This is the most obvious way to manage your diabetes and this can be challenging on your own, which is why you should turn to a doctor in Greenwood Village, CO, whom you trust to provide you with the most effective care. While there are certain lifestyle modifications that can improve your blood sugar, our doctor can also talk to you about certain medications that you can take to keep your blood sugar levels in check.
Eating a Healthy, Balanced Diet
Your diet is the most important thing when it comes to leading a healthy life—especially if you have diabetes. It’s crucial that you understand what foods can affect your glucose levels and to avoid foods that could lead to glucose spikes. Here’s what you should know,
- Learn about portion control and what carbs are unsafe and safe
- Meals should include a mix of vegetables, proteins, starches, fruits and fats
- Coordinate your meals with your medication
- Avoid sugary foods and drinks (if you have high blood sugar levels)
Get Regular Exercise
Along with a balanced diet, it’s also important that you participate in regular physical activity, which can help your body efficiently use glucose for energy to lower high blood sugar. Talk to your doctor about the best exercise plan to follow, especially if you are beginning a new workout routine. Start slowly with 30 minutes a day and then gradually build up your workout. Also, make sure that you are drinking plenty of water throughout the day.
Take Medication, if Necessary
If your diabetes is caught early on when you are still in the prediabetic stage then simple lifestyle modifications and leading a healthier life may be all that’s needed to maintain healthy blood sugar levels; however, sometimes medication will be necessary to effectively lower your glucose when lifestyle changes alone aren’t enough. Here’s what you should know about diabetes medications,
- Not all medications work the same for every patient. It may take some trial and error to find the right medication for you. Patience is key.
- Talk to us about any problems you may experience with your blood sugar levels when beginning a new medication.
- Make sure that you are following the medication’s instructions and that you are storing the medication properly (extreme temperatures can affect insulin).
Dealing with symptoms of diabetes? Want to talk about the best diabetes medication for you? Then call RPM Family Health in Greenwood Village, CO today to schedule a consultation to talk to Dr. Floyd Russak and his partners.
There are a number of conditions that can affect the thyroid gland, which produces the hormones that regulate growth and metabolism. The American Thyroid Association estimates that roughly one in every eight women will experience some type of thyroid problem in her lifetime (however men can suffer from thyroid problems as well). Floyd Russak, MD, in Greenwood Village, CO, offers unique diagnosis and treatment options for thyroid problems and other health problems like diabetes and heart disease.
Thyroid Problems - Symptoms and Treatment Options in Greenwood Village, CO
Despite the prevalence of thyroid disorders, data suggests that as many as 60% of people with a thyroid problem may not be aware of their condition. Some of the most common thyroid gland disorders include:
- Nodules (benign growth)
- Thyroid cancer
Symptoms of a Thyroid Problem
Although the gland is small, an issue with the thyroid can have a significant impact on your health, from energy levels to weight and basic metabolic functions like digestion. The symptoms you experience depend on the specific thyroid problem you are experiencing. The most common signs and symptoms of hypothyroidism are:
- Fatigue and exhaustion
- Unexplained weight gain
- High cholesterol
- Sensitivity to cold
The most common signs of symptoms of hyperthyroidism include:
- Sleep problems
- Weight loss
Goiters (enlarged thyroid gland) may or may not exhibit symptoms depending on the size:
- Noticeable swelling of the gland
- Tightness in the throat
- Unexplained coughing
- Difficulty swallowing and breathing
What Causes Thyroid Problems?
Although thyroid problems are more common in women, other factors like age, family history, autoimmune disease, or hormone imbalances can increase the risk of developing a thyroid condition in the future.
Find a Thyroid Doctor in Greenwood Village, CO
For more information about thyroid health and conditions, contact our office by calling 303-856-5989 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Russak today.
Discover the best ways to keep your blood sugar levels under control.
When you first find out you have diabetes you may feel rather overwhelmed by the news. It might feel like everything has changed and that your main focus is now about managing your health. Here at Russak Personalized Medicine in Greenwood Village, CO, our doctor, Dr. Floyd Russak, specializes in treating diabetes and to improve not just your health but also your quality of life.
Here are just some of the ways we can help you get your diabetes under control in Greenwood Village:
It’s important to acknowledge how much a healthy lifestyle can greatly impact your health, especially when you have diabetes. In fact, those with pre-diabetes may even be able to reverse their condition through healthier life choices. Here are some tips for managing your diabetes:
- Reduce stress, which can have a serious impact on blood sugar levels. Find a hobby or activity that helps reduce your stress, whether it’s yoga, gardening to taking a daily walk through the neighborhood.
- Having a support system can also improve your mood and quality of life, particularly when you are faced with a chronic illness. Turn to friends, families or support groups to help you find comfort and emotional support.
- Eat a healthy balanced diet that is rich in lean proteins, healthy fats, fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Avoid sugar, alcohol, sodas, fruit juices, and processed/junk foods. Also, make sure you are getting enough fiber and water in your diet.
- Staying active can be a great way to reduce excess weight and improve your blood sugar. Talk to our Greenwood Village, CO, physician about safe workout options for you.
- Quit smoking if you currently smoke or use tobacco products.
- Perform daily foot inspections to check for blisters, redness, swelling, ulcers, or other issues.
- We have two supplements that can reduce blood sugar without the need for medication
- Visit your doctors often for routine and preventive checkups.
Medication is another effective way to keep blood sugar levels within the normal range, if the above lifestyle modifications are not working. While taking medication you’ll also want to monitor and record your blood sugar levels, monthly if on medicines and daily or weekly, if on insulin. Careful monitoring is the best way to determine if something is wrong.There are several medications used to treat type 2 diabetes. In most cases, these medications work by either increasing how much insulin your body produces or by helping your body use insulin more efficiently while reducing your body’s sensitivity to it.
A new class of medications called SGLT2 inhibitors, cause an average of 10-20 pounds of weight loss and also lower sugar and prevent heart attacks/strokes. These new meds work by making you urinate out more sugar in your urine and have almost no side effects.
Another new medicine lowers heart attacks and strokes, causes mild weight loss, and only is taken once a week, but it is an injection.
Russak Personalized Medicine in Greenwood Village, CO, to provide both regular and immediate walk-in care. Whether you are trying to figure out the best approach for managing your diabetes or you are dealing with a sprained ankle, turn to our compassionate, caring medical staff for the care you need when it matters most.