Get your blood sugar levels under control to prevent further health problems.
Finding out that you have diabetes can be a bit overwhelming, but our Greenwood Village, CO, primary care physician Dr. Floyd Russak and his team are here to make sure that you understand ways to get your blood sugar levels under control to lead a healthy happy life and to prevent complications. Here are some simple ways to manage your diabetes,
Maintain Healthy Blood Sugar Levels
This is the most obvious way to manage your diabetes and this can be challenging on your own, which is why you should turn to a doctor in Greenwood Village, CO, whom you trust to provide you with the most effective care. While there are certain lifestyle modifications that can improve your blood sugar, our doctor can also talk to you about certain medications that you can take to keep your blood sugar levels in check.
Eating a Healthy, Balanced Diet
Your diet is the most important thing when it comes to leading a healthy life—especially if you have diabetes. It’s crucial that you understand what foods can affect your glucose levels and to avoid foods that could lead to glucose spikes. Here’s what you should know,
- Learn about portion control and what carbs are unsafe and safe
- Meals should include a mix of vegetables, proteins, starches, fruits and fats
- Coordinate your meals with your medication
- Avoid sugary foods and drinks (if you have high blood sugar levels)
Get Regular Exercise
Along with a balanced diet, it’s also important that you participate in regular physical activity, which can help your body efficiently use glucose for energy to lower high blood sugar. Talk to your doctor about the best exercise plan to follow, especially if you are beginning a new workout routine. Start slowly with 30 minutes a day and then gradually build up your workout. Also, make sure that you are drinking plenty of water throughout the day.
Take Medication, if Necessary
If your diabetes is caught early on when you are still in the prediabetic stage then simple lifestyle modifications and leading a healthier life may be all that’s needed to maintain healthy blood sugar levels; however, sometimes medication will be necessary to effectively lower your glucose when lifestyle changes alone aren’t enough. Here’s what you should know about diabetes medications,
- Not all medications work the same for every patient. It may take some trial and error to find the right medication for you. Patience is key.
- Talk to us about any problems you may experience with your blood sugar levels when beginning a new medication.
- Make sure that you are following the medication’s instructions and that you are storing the medication properly (extreme temperatures can affect insulin).
Dealing with symptoms of diabetes? Want to talk about the best diabetes medication for you? Then call RPM Family Health in Greenwood Village, CO today to schedule a consultation to talk to Dr. Floyd Russak and his partners.