Discover the best ways to keep your blood sugar levels under control.
When you first find out you have diabetes you may feel rather overwhelmed by the news. It might feel like everything has changed and that your main focus is now about managing your health. Here at Russak Personalized Medicine in Greenwood Village, CO, our doctor, Dr. Floyd Russak, specializes in treating diabetes and to improve not just your health but also your quality of life.
Here are just some of the ways we can help you get your diabetes under control in Greenwood Village:
It’s important to acknowledge how much a healthy lifestyle can greatly impact your health, especially when you have diabetes. In fact, those with pre-diabetes may even be able to reverse their condition through healthier life choices. Here are some tips for managing your diabetes:
- Reduce stress, which can have a serious impact on blood sugar levels. Find a hobby or activity that helps reduce your stress, whether it’s yoga, gardening to taking a daily walk through the neighborhood.
- Having a support system can also improve your mood and quality of life, particularly when you are faced with a chronic illness. Turn to friends, families or support groups to help you find comfort and emotional support.
- Eat a healthy balanced diet that is rich in lean proteins, healthy fats, fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Avoid sugar, alcohol, sodas, fruit juices, and processed/junk foods. Also, make sure you are getting enough fiber and water in your diet.
- Staying active can be a great way to reduce excess weight and improve your blood sugar. Talk to our Greenwood Village, CO, physician about safe workout options for you.
- Quit smoking if you currently smoke or use tobacco products.
- Perform daily foot inspections to check for blisters, redness, swelling, ulcers, or other issues.
- We have two supplements that can reduce blood sugar without the need for medication
- Visit your doctors often for routine and preventive checkups.
Medication is another effective way to keep blood sugar levels within the normal range, if the above lifestyle modifications are not working. While taking medication you’ll also want to monitor and record your blood sugar levels, monthly if on medicines and daily or weekly, if on insulin. Careful monitoring is the best way to determine if something is wrong.There are several medications used to treat type 2 diabetes. In most cases, these medications work by either increasing how much insulin your body produces or by helping your body use insulin more efficiently while reducing your body’s sensitivity to it.
A new class of medications called SGLT2 inhibitors, cause an average of 10-20 pounds of weight loss and also lower sugar and prevent heart attacks/strokes. These new meds work by making you urinate out more sugar in your urine and have almost no side effects.
Another new medicine lowers heart attacks and strokes, causes mild weight loss, and only is taken once a week, but it is an injection.
Russak Personalized Medicine in Greenwood Village, CO, to provide both regular and immediate walk-in care. Whether you are trying to figure out the best approach for managing your diabetes or you are dealing with a sprained ankle, turn to our compassionate, caring medical staff for the care you need when it matters most.